We manufacture planting trays with UV treated PVC plastic material. These planting trays have cell sizes as; 28, 50, 66, 160, 200, 204, and 288. Every seedling tray cell has a perforation at the bottom to allow for water drainage and root aeration.
Planting trays for sale;
- Tomato seedling trays.
A farmer growing tomato for the greenhouse will use the 200 or 204 cell trays. These tomatoes will be small in size during transplanting to this protected environment. A farmer growing outdoor tomato will use the 160 hole seedling trays. These tomato seedlings will be bigger and stronger to withstand harsh climatic conditions in the field.
- Onion seedling trays.
Growers doing onions will use the 288 cell seedling trays.
- Different seedling production in trays.
Onion has tiny seedlings which at maturity fit well in small cells. Tomato, peppers, cabbage, and chilies will use larger cells seedling trays.
- Growing seedlings in trays.
Apply the coco peat planting media on all cells upto 3/4. Place the tiny seeds individually in each cell, then cover with the coco peat planting media.
Our UV treated PVC seedling trays cost Kes 120 a piece for all cell numbers.
Why use planting trays?
In an era when farmers have graduated to high-value hybrid vegetable seeds;
- planting trays make it possible to account for each seedling, the reason that every seed is placed manually one by one
- this makes it easy to count actual germination and seedling survivals
- the seedlings have less pest and disease infestation because the trays are used with sanitized growing media
- at transplanting, the growing media covers the root system which prevents transplanting shock in the field or greenhouse
- transplanting shock slows down crop growth and delays maturity
Grekkon Limited’s agronomists guide every farmer during procurement on the most appropriate tray to use.