WE ARE ALL ABOUT HEALTHY CROPS
Grekkon Limited’s seedling trays for sale in Kenya helps high value crop farmers to start off their seedlings without germination losses. In a market where high value hybrid seed is predominant in commercial farming, the cost of every seedling counts. Our sanitized trays and coco peat are free of any pest and disease, and they save the farmer any crop establishment delay occasioned by transplanting shock
When considering where to buy seedling trays in Kenya, our UV treated PVC germination trays provide a wide choice to select from. We have 28, 66, 150, 160, 200, 204 and 288 cells seedling trays sizes for: silk worm rearing, tree crop propagation, fruit nurseries and vegetable seedlings. The cell size determines the use
What is the cost of seedling trays?
Our seedling trays price is from Kes 120/- per unit depending on the quantity procured
Advantages Of Seedling Trays In Kenya
Seedling trays and planting media offer the following benefits compared to traditional nurseries:
- 99%-100% of the seedlings are transplanted. This is because the soiless media- coco peat in the seedling tray is sanitised and has no pests nor diseases. Again, transplanting losses are insignificant because the seedlings re transplanted while this media is still attached to the root zone. This prevents the tender roots from exposure, or damage
- every seedling is accounted for by knowing the cells number (tray cell number x number of tray s= no of seedlings)
- pest and disease management is easy. This is because the seedlings or propagates are in a greenhouse, shade house or any other enclosed location
- high germination rate
- uniformity of growth
- seedlings are traken from the tray for field planting with no shock. This is because the growing media covers their tender roots. Transplanting shock is always as a result of leaving the growing roots exposed when relocating the seedling
- early crop maturity. This is because the seedlings growth did not slowed down from the movement shock. Transplanting shock in vegetable crops can cause a 2 to 3 week delay in harvesting
- light and highly portable. Our planting trays are light weight and easy to move from one location to another
Soils that have been used for crop production over many years harbor pests and diseases that easily attack tender seedlings. The use of sanitized seedling trays and planting media shield your crop at this highly susceptible stage from this pestilence.
Our coco peat provides the requisite nutrients to start off the plants immediately after germination. All that is required during the seedlings time in the tray is water and light
How Long Do You Leave Seedlings In A Seedling Tray?
This depends on the length of seedling maturity which differs from crop to crop. For instance, tomato, cabbage, capsicums take 3-4 weeks to transplant, while onion takes 8 weeks
Which Seedling Tray Is Best?
The choice of seedling tray depends on;
- Crop size. Tree crops require larger cells than say onion seedlings
- Desired transplanting size. The bigger the seedling, the larger the tray
- Choice of activity. Seedling trays to rear silk worms have larger cells than say seedling trays for tomato. This is because silk worms are larger, thus need more space, while tomato seeds and seedlings are tiny enough to grow in a much smaller cell
Seedling Trays Sizes
i. 28 cells. Ideal for rearing silkworms, fruit tree, and forestry seedlings
ii. 50 cells. For fruit and forestry seedlings that will be transplanted when small or young
iii. 66 cells. For fruit and forestry seedlings that will be transplanted when small or young
iv. 160 cells. For vegetable crop seedlings that will be transplanted when large or older. This used commonly for open field crop transplants.
v. 204 cells. For vegetable crop seedlings that will be transplanted when smaller or younger. Tomato, pepper, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, chilies are examples of crops propagated in these trays.
vi. 288 cells. For vegetable crop seedlings that are small such as onion
How Big Are Seedling Trays?
Grekkon Limited’s seedling trays are 54cm in long by 28cm wide irrespective of the cell number
Our seedling trays in Kenya are UV treated which makes them last long in tropical locations where the sun’s radiation is high throughout the year. You can store and re-use them in your subsequent plantings.