Grekkon Limited’s greenhouse polythene price in Kenya tabulated at the bottom of this article depends on the level of treatment on the paper. Higher treatment equals a higher greenhouse polythene paper cost because of the value added to the paper. This value is measured in terms of it’s usable lifespan, amount of light and heat that penetrates through, and the ability to remain free of moisture droplets (dew). In Kenya, low density greenhouse polythene for sale is available as clear or yellow in color, with a thickness not exceeding 220 microns. It is an integral part of our greenhouse materials because of the following attributes
- it is low cost
- it is available in various sheet sizes
- easy to attach
- fantastic light transmission
- high mechanical properties to withstand stress during installation
These properties have helped many farmers to adapt greenhouse crop production. It is therefore important for a grower to understand how to choose greenhouse polythene sheet when procuring a UV treated greenhouse polythene cover
What Does a Greenhouse Plastic Do?
It covers the top and sides of a greenhouse structure to protect the plants within from the elements. It allows in the right spectrum of light for crop growth while filtering away the less needed part of light by the crop. All this creates a an internal environment favourable to plant growth regardless of the external environment. This allows for all year production, improves crop yield and quality
Basic ‘Must Haves’ Treatments of a Greenhouse Polythene in Kenya
- It will be treated with anti-ultra violet (anti-UV) block to prevent the harmful UV sun rays from causing damage to the paper. Greenhouse polythene is made from polymers which photo-degrade easily under UV light exposure. The greenhouse paper changes color (yellowing), cracks, chalks on the surface which impairs transparency, and will have lower mechanical properties. Anti-UV treated paper lasts for a minimum of 36 months before replacement as a greenhouse cover. Without the treatment, the usable lifespan under equatorial climate is a few months. UV treatment reduces insect pest attacks such as; white flies, thrips, and aphids by making them less active. It controls some fungal diseases, thereby reducing overall pesticide application
Farmers growing crops that need external pollinators such as bees are advised to get a film that allows part of the UV light in. This is because these bees need it to move about
- Anti-drip treatment. This prevents moisture condensation on the paper especially in the morning, otherwise known as ‘dew’. Dew droplets cause fungal disease growth when they fall on the crops leaf’s surface. In a solar dryer, dew on dried produce causes molding
How To Select The Right Greenhouse Cover For Your Crop
- Crop type
Different crop types have different light requirements
1.2. Vegetative crops. Leafy vegetables, herbs and spices will produce well in less light than in 1.1. above. Clear or yellow polythene works
1.2. Mono color flowers. Yellow polythene intensifies petal color for mono color roses and other flowers. This increases their marketability
1.4. Bi or multi color flowers. Construct with clear polythene for with this crop
2. Disease incidence
Crops such as; tomato, pepper, strawberry, cucumber, roses, carnations, chrysanthemums and many others are susceptible to blight. This is when moisture remains on their leaves. For such, your greenhouse polythene sheet will have anti-drip treatment. Anti drip treatment prevents dew droplets from forming on the paper when moisture condenses. These drops cause fungal infections when they drip on the leaf surface of the crop. Anti-drip treatment is available for both clear and yellow paper types
The anti-drip treated greenhouse polythene paper more expensive. However, it saves the grower more money, as a result of less fungicide application
The paper choice applies to any greenhouse structure; wooden or steel. This is true also for any greenhouse size
I. How much is greenhouse polythene in Kenya?
Greenhouse polythene price in Kenya
|Kes 95/M sq
|With anti -UV only
|Kes 120/M sq
|With additional anti-drip treatment
II. What plastic can be used for greenhouse?
Yellow or clear plastic are the choices for a greenhouse cover
III. What is the best poly for a greenhouse?
As explained above, the right greenhouse plastic depends on the crop type
IV. How do you attach polythene to a greenhouse?
For a metallic greenhouse, steel profiles and wiggle wires secure the paper against the steel frame
V. How long does polythene last on a greenhouse?
Our anti-UV block treatment is guaranteed for 36 months use. However, the paper itself will last for 5 years
VI. How thick should greenhouse poly be?
200 to 220 micron
VII. How often do you replace greenhouse plastic?
We recommend every 3 years so which is when the anti-UV block ceases
How to Keep Your Greenhouse Polythene Tight
- Spread out the paper on the greenhouse structure early in the morning or late in the evening when he temperature is below 20 degrees celcius. If it’s too hot, the paper will tear on contraction when it gets cold. If it’s too cold, the paper will sag when the temperature rises
- Roll it or pull it from one end to the next frame or runner and secure it with a profile and wiggle wire. Then stretch it again for this point to the next and so on
- Avoid covering in the afternoon when it is very windy as this will cause the paper to tear
How To Maintain Your Greenhouse Sheet
Observing these habits will keep your greenhouse polythene price in Kenya at the barest minimum
- Have a greenhouse tape for minor repairs when the paper is torn. Grekkon Limited’s greenhouse tape is UV resistant, trans-parent and is designed for outdoor use
- Clean your greenhouse cover monthly to prevent algae, moss, and dust which inhibit light from shining through
- Change it at the right time, which is when the anti-UV treatment expires