Grekkon Limited’s avocado drip irrigation systems are for avocado farmers in Africa. Button drip is the best irrigation system for avocado trees, These are the avocado irrigation requirements
- The mainline supplies water from the source. Your avocado irrigation water source will be either a reservoir, a river, a well or a tank. The size of the HDPE or PVC pipe will depend on the acreage. An avocado farmer with 10 acres of trees will use a larger main pipe than a grower with a half-acre of avocado trees.
- A sub-mainline will deliver water from the mainline to the 16mm HDPE pipes that serve the avocado tree
- A button dripper connected to the 16mm HDPE line to directly irrigate the tree
Benefits of Avocado Drip Irrigation
- It is water efficient because it uses 70% less water than sprinkler irrigation
- The system is easy to install and maintain
- It requires just one individual to run it over very large acreage
- Button drippers are adjusted to provide water according to each avocado tree’s need
How to irrigate an avocado tree
- Check the soil moisture
Assess your soil moisture to a depth of 10 cm and if it is all dry, it is time to irrigate your avocado tree
- Assess the state of your avocado crop
Do the leaves droop and seem water-stressed? Then proceed to irrigate
- Avocado drip irrigation system management
Irrigate according the various blocks, and move to irrigate the next block after the soil is fully moist but not overflowing with water
Avocado Tree Crop FAQs
Use a button drip irrigation system as defined above or a rain gun sprinkler system as below
Yes, they do need plenty of water, especially during the flowering period, through to the end of fruiting.
In the dry season, water the tree twice or thrice a week. During the wet season, irrigate only when it dries
Yes you can which will lead to root rot
The leaves will be small and pale. Then they will turn yellow. The fruits too are tiny and few.
Mature avocado trees need 40 to 50 inches of water annually. Younger trees need more water to establish a good root system.