Grekkon Limited’s avocado drip irrigation systems are for commercial avocado farming in Kenya. Button drip is the best irrigation system for avocado trees in whichever location. Commercial avocado production in Kenya is largely through irrigation. Avocado varieties do not determine the irrigation method adopted. However, avocado spacing in Kenya has an effect on the irrigation system cost. Avocado yield per acre is significantly higher under irrigation than with the traditional rain-fed method. With a button drip irrigation system, avocado fertigation is possible. Grekkon Limited technical teams advise farmers on how to irrigate avocado in Kenya
Avocado irrigation requirement with button drip systems
- The mainline supplies water from the source. Your avocado irrigation water source will be either a reservoir, a river, a well, or a tank. The size of the HDPE or PVC pipe will depend on your acreage. A farmer with 10 acres will take a larger main pipe than one with a half-acre of avocado trees
- A sub-mainline will deliver water from the mainline to the 16mm HDPE pipes that serve the avocado tree
- A button dripper connected to the 16mm HDPE line to directly irrigate the tree
Benefits of Avocado Drip Irrigation
- It is water efficient because it uses 70% less water than sprinkler irrigation
- The system is easy to install and maintain
- It requires just one individual to run it over very large acreage
- Every button dripper will meet the tree’s water need as adjusted
How to irrigate an avocado tree
1. Check the soil moisture
Assess your soil moisture to a depth of 10 cm. If it is all dry, it is time to irrigate your avocado tree
2. Assess the state of your avocado crop
Do the leaves droop and seem water-stressed? Then proceed to irrigate
3. Avocado drip irrigation system management
Irrigate according to the various blocks. Move to irrigate the next block after the soil is fully moist but not overflowing with water
Avocado Drip Irrigation FAQs
1. What is the cost of avocado irrigation in Kenya
- Button drip irrigation system is from Kes 75,000 an acre
- Rain gun sprinkler irrigation system or rain hose irrigation kit is Kes 55,000 an acre
2. How do you irrigate an avocado tree?
3. Do avocado trees need a lot of water?
Yes, they do need plenty of water, especially during the flowering period, through to the end of fruiting.
4. How often should I water my Hass avocado tree?
In the dry season, water the fruit tree twice or thrice a week. During the wet season, irrigate only when it dries
5. Can you over-water an avocado tree?
Yes you can which will lead to root rot
6. What does an over-watered avocado tree look like?
The leaves will be small and pale. Then they will turn yellow. The fruits too are tiny and few.
7. Does the avocado tree like water?
Yes it does
8. How many litres of water does an avocado tree need?
Mature avocado trees need 4 liters of water weekly. Younger trees need more water to establish a good root system.