Coco peat is a multipurpose medium, made from coconut husks. It offers the best alternative for propagating seedlings and flower production. It is also used for soil ammendments. For it to work effectively, it has to be washed and treated, as it contains soluble salts mainly sodium which might lead to scorching of the roots, leading to poor germination.
• Coco peat is highly porous. This keeps the medium well aerated and loose for better root growth
• Has good water holding capacity ensuring there is no overwatering or underwatering of your seedlings
• High porosity, high water holding capacity and high cation exchange capacity together mean that the quantity of coco peat required per plant can be very less.
• It is easy to transport cocopeat because it can easily be compressed
• Coco peat provides a great environment for root beneficial fungi and bacteria to grow.
• The fact that it has zero nutrients means you can easily formulate various quantities required for your seedlings.
• It is disease and pest free compared to the soil.
Note that cocopeat has to be treated first by socking in a solution of calcium nitrate to reduce sodium levels which causes root scorching.
At Grekkon Limited, we pride ourselves by being the leading cocopeat supplier in Kenya for specialized planting media, mainly for raising seedlings and flower production.
Cocopeat is a natural substitute for soil ans it is made from dry and ground coconut husks.
- 5kg block enough for approximately 12-17 trays.
- 2.5kg block enough for 1-3 seedling trays